- me: i don't even care. i'm not going to talk about this anymore.
- me: and you know what else? [2000 word rant]
“Do what you love” disguises the fact that being able to choose a career primarily for personal reward is a privilege, a sign of socioeconomic class. Even if a self-employed graphic designer had parents who could pay for art school and co-sign a lease for a slick Brooklyn apartment, she can bestow DWYL as career advice upon those covetous of her success.
If we believe that working as a Silicon Valley entrepreneur or a museum publicist or a think-tank acolyte is essential to being true to ourselves, what do we believe about the inner lives and hopes of those who clean hotel rooms and stock shelves at big-box stores? The answer is: nothing.
a couple of other quotes from the article i really like:
According to this way of thinking, labor is not something one does for compensation but is an act of love. If profit doesn’t happen to follow, presumably it is because the worker’s passion and determination were insufficient. Its real achievement is making workers believe their labor serves the self and not the marketplace
Do what you love and you’ll never work a day in your life! Before succumbing to the intoxicating warmth of that promise, it’s critical to ask, “Who, exactly, benefits from making work feel like nonwork?” “Why should workers feel as if they aren’t working when they are?” In masking the very exploitative mechanisms of labor that it fuels, DWYL is, in fact, the most perfect ideological tool of capitalism. If we acknowledged all of our work as work, we could set appropriate limits for it, demanding fair compensation and humane schedules that allow for family and leisure time.
Why you should watch Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries on Netflix streaming (U.S.)
This is Phryne Fisher. She’s a daring forty-something woman living in Australia during the 1920s with enough money to live it up and a wardrobe that’ll make you cry.
She decides she’s going to become a private detective, so she does. She has a pearl handled pistol in her handbag and a dagger in her garter.
Her adventures sometimes require undercover work. Such as circus performer.
And if she’s not in an adorable hat, she has a sparkly headband. Of course.
And every now and then her lesbian bestie visits in the greatest tweeds and brogues.
Did I mention the clothes?
She prefers younger men
But you’ll totally ship these two.
She knows how to fly planes,
and teaches young girls self defense on top of table manners.
But these two are the cutest most innocent couple you’ll ever see. Seriously cute.
There’s so much more, but you’ll just have to watch it. The first season is on Netflix streaming in the U.S. so I hope you enjoy this kick-ass lady. She’s seriously cool.
I’d like to put together a more coherent “WATCH THIS SHOW YOU ASSHOLES RIGHT THE FUCK NOW,” but honestly this covers all the bases. I mainlined both seasons (it just got renewed for its 3rd) in three days, and by the end of it I was unable to make any sounds but BWEEE so, you know.
But honestly dudes, if you are looking for something totally different and yet really reliable - something that you can watch with your family or with your girlfriends and have a faboo time either way - then LOOK NO FURTHER. The first season is on Netflix, the second season is on acorn.tv (along with a number of other excellent british/aussie television shows), and I could be persuaded to inform you as to where you might be able to find less licit copies of the episodes. Two seasons, 13 episodes, and a weird Australian-style “Christmas” special - I promise, it’s totally worth your while.
Finally got hooked in this weekend and started watching some of the eps on Netflix. I am now the proud owner of the DVD sets of both series. It’s just SO GOOD.
if cicadas can sleep for 17 years and then wake up only to scream and fuck so can i
This country is such a fucking joke. Did you know that if we were to divide the income in this country fairly it would be about 300,000 per person. That’s annually. You could give each person in this country 100,000 and still have enough to invest in infrastructure and research. Instead we have people who don’t have water, don’t have their basic human rights fulfilled, because they don’t have enough to pay a bill.Capitalism is inhumane.
NICE THOUGHTS CHALLENGE.
ONCE YOU GET THIS YOU HAVE TO SAY 5 NICE THINGS ABOUT YOURSELF PUBLICLY AND THEN SEND THIS TO 10 OF YOUR FAVORITE FOLLOWERS. MAN, FUCK THAT NOISE! NOBODY TAGGED ME BUT I WANTED TO SAY NICE THINGS ABOUT MYSELF; IF YOU FEEL THE SAME WAY, CONSIDER YOURSELF TAGGED.
1. I am a handy sort of a person to have in a crisis; I am pretty good at triaging a shitty situation and figuring out what needs to be done and in what order, and I’m willing to do what needs to be done to restore order.
2. I am a good storyteller! It’s one of my favorite things to do in any group of people, and I’m really damn good at making even the most obnoxious sequence of events into something funny.
3. I am wicked good at Figuring Shit Out, especially miscellaneous computer shit. And, yeah, a lot of that is google + being willing to try a bunch of different things until I accomplish what I am trying to do, but given how few of my coworkers are able to even do that…
4. At the ripe old age of twenty-seven, I have finally managed to train myself to get my next-morning stuff ready before I go to bed: coffee maker set for 5AM, clothes set out, lunch packed, maybe breakfast made if I’m really killing it. This is SUCH A LITTLE THING, but it makes my life INFINITELY better, and I am honestly so proud of myself.
5. I make amazing quiches. As a general rule, I am a pretty decent cook? But my quiches are just the best. I eyeball everything and use whatever we have in the fridge, and it turns out just right every time.
OKAY NOW YOU, IF THIS IS A THING YOU FEEL LIKE DOING.